Property Hawk the landlord's homepage since 2006
Free Tenancy Agreement FREE tenancy agreement
Free Landlord Software FREE landlord software
Home | Property Manager | Free ASTs | Landlord Forms | Mortgages | Insurance | Inventory | Magazine | Landlords Bible | Directory | Forum | Training | News / Blog |

Friday, January 06, 2012

Rent Arrears

Shelter are warning that landlords should brace themselves for a rise in rent arrears as more tenants may have taken out payday loans or other credit to cover overspending after the festive period.

If your tenant is just a month behind you should meet with them and work out a payment plan to bring the arrears up to date.

However, if your tenant falls even further behind you may wish to seek advice on what options are open to you. If you do intend to take action you must serve Notice on your tenant of your intention to seek possession.

If your tenant fails to remedy the situation you will need to issue Court proceedings and ask for a possession order.

My advice would be:-

1. when one month's rent is late approach the tenant and find out why and then try and work out a reasonable repayment schedule.

2. if your tenant fails to contact you send a letter requesting immediate payment.

3. if your tenant then fails to pay a second month's rent serve a Section 8 or Section 21 Notice.

Please email me at


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear madam,
my tenant i rent arrears but tenacy agreement finish in 4month time can i serve him section 21,insteadsection 8,