Property Hawk the landlord's homepage since 2006
Free Tenancy Agreement FREE tenancy agreement
Free Landlord Software FREE landlord software
Home | Property Manager | Free ASTs | Landlord Forms | Mortgages | Insurance | Inventory | Magazine | Landlords Bible | Directory | Forum | Training | News / Blog |

Monday, April 11, 2011

Tips On Tenancy Deposit Disputes 39: The C Word

Tip 39: Don’t mention the C word
...Court, that is.
If you as much as hint that you would prefer to have your dispute resolved in court, rather than using the scheme’s own dispute resolution service, your file is liable to be suspended. The schemes are not able to adjudicate on claims that will be or have been (or might be) the subject of court proceedings, because the court service is a higher authority and the schemes can’t be seen to interfere. 
Sometimes people make the mistake of threatening to use court, in an off hand sort of manner, without thinking it through, then are surprised to find that their claim progresses no further. If you’ve done done this, you can restart the claim by affirming your intention not to pursue the matter through the court system, but you will incur delays.
Tom Derrett is the Principal of Deposit Claim, an experienced deposit protection adjudicator and an expert on the Deposit Protection Schemes. Tom helps landlords to claim money through the deposit protection schemes.

Free property management software, Free tenancy agreements
Bookmark and Share

No comments: